The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that basically tests a comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and technology. GATE is conducted annually by the joint hands of seven IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc, Bangalore) on behalf of the National coordination Board- GATE, Department of higher education, Ministry of human resource (MHRD), Government of India.
The GATE score of a candidate shows off his relative performance in a particular paper in the exam several years. This score is used to get admissions in to the courses such as M.E/M.Tech/Direct PhD in Indian higher education institutions (Technical and Engineering colleges) with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other government agencies.
The candidates are requested to go through the eligibility criteria before applying for the examination. The following categories of candidates are only eligible to appear in the GATE.
1. B.E/B.Tech/B.arch/B.Pharm- bachelor’s degree in engineering/technology/architecture/Pharmacy (Post diploma/Post B.Sc/ 4 years after 10+2/ Post B.Sc/Post diploma)
2. M.Sc/M.A/MCA- Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Computer Science/Statistics/equivalent
3. Int M.E/M.Tech or dual degree (after 10+2 or diploma) – Integrated master’s degree or dual degree programs in engineering/technology (four year programme)
4. Int M.E/M.Tech- (Post B.Sc integrated Master’s degree programs in engineering and technology )
5. Professional society examination (equivalent to B.E/B.Arch/B.Tech) – B.E/B.Tech equivalent examinations of professional societies, recognised by MHRD/UPSC/ AICTE (AMIE by institution of engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of civil engineers-India)
GATE admit card
1. The GATE Admit card can only be downloaded from the zonal websites of the GATE tentatively from December 2014.
2. The GATE 2015 Admit cards will not be sent by post/email.
3. The candidates are advised to bring a print-out of the downloaded admit card to the test centre along with the original photo identification.
4. If the original photo identification is not presented, the candidate will not be permitted to take up the test.
5. The following Ids may be given as a PAN Card, Aadhaar card, college ID, employee identification card, or a notarized affidavit, driving license, voter ID, passport, or a notarized affidavit with photograph and date of birth.
GATE Paper pattern
The GATE paper pattern for all the papers is given below. There will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying 15marks in General aptitude (GA).
How to apply online for GATE examination
An online interface is provided for the user’s interaction with the GATE officials. The login to this interface is through the email id you chose to enter and its password. The information about the login mail id and the password is to be kept confidential.